Roasted Eggplant Pasta with Fresh Roasted Tomato Sauce
by Brenda Kong
Roasting is one of my favorite ways to cook; it’s easy, low maintenance and results in the best tasting foods. Summer yields the best tomatoes; I love their plump and sweet firm flesh, it’s also the best time to make your own tomato sauce. I have a wonderfully easy yet full flavored tomato sauce featuring roasted tomatoes, onions and garlic; I make tons of it and store it for later. Tonight I decided to roast some lovely eggplants I picked up at the farmers market to toss with my pasta and fresh herbs. Honestly, when you make your own tomato sauce, you’ll never go back to jarred.
INGREDIENTS (makes 4 servings):
Roasted Tomato Sauce:
- 4lbs Tomatoes, quartered, seeds removed
- 1 large Onion, cut into 8 large pieces
- 6-8 cloves of Garlic, lightly smashed
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock, low or no sodium
- 3 tbsp. Fresh Oregano, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Thyme, roughly chopped
- ½ cup Fresh Basil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- ¾ cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan Cheese
- Black Pepper to taste
Roasted Eggplant Pasta:
- 1 large Eggplant, diced into ¾ inch pieces
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1lbs Pasta, cooked according to package directions
- Fresh Basil, roughly torn
- Fresh Tomato Sauce (see recipe above)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh Tomato Sauce:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Toss tomatoes, onions and garlic with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Roast for 45mins – 1 hr.
- Blend roasted vegetables with chicken stock and herbs. You will have to do this in batches, remember not to overfill your blender and be careful!
- Check for seasonings, sauce is now ready to use or refrigerate for later
- Over medium heat, melt butter
- Add breadcrumbs, black pepper and parmesan cheese
- Toast until lightly brown and smells nutty
Roasted Eggplant Pasta:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Toss eggplant with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Roast for 30-40 mins
- Cook pasta according to package in lightly salted water
- Toss pasta, sauce, eggplant and basil together
- Top with toasted breadcrumbs and enjoy!
How easy is that? I hope you’ll try this light summer dinner idea.
Any suggestions made are not intended to replace the advice of a qualified medical professional. Please consult your healthcare provider prior to making any changes to your treatment, exercise or diet routine.
All recipes are the intellectual property of the author. You may not publish, modify, or create derivative works based on the content available through this website.